Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Merkel

Rightwing left liberalism/Careerism RevForum Administrator Nim Chimpsky's Avatar

Default Re: Merkle

Quote Originally Posted by Rosa Lichtenstein View Post
    Nim:

Translated, this reads:
    I could only "lose" something if I wagered something. But, sadly, Rosa, to use your metaphors, the ROI in debating you is not high enough to warrant the investment in time and energy. Please, move on.

Rightwing left liberalism/Careerism RevForum Administrator Nim Chimpsky's Avatar

As it is, Merkel's UNION seems to be moving up in the polls, showing that the SPD's idiotic strategy of running a "European" candidate (Schulz was the former President of the EU Parliament) without any substantive policy shifts viz. globalization / austerity / wage dumping is entirely hollow and inadequate. And I hope they get lots of feelings of embarrassment and inadequacy on Sunday, when they draw their historically worst result ever. People are still mad at the bastards. Wake up, idiots.

Paperback Writer RevForum Administrator Amoeba's Avatar

It's incredibly weird that they didn't learn the lessons from Melenchon and Corbyn: left populism works as a means of replacing/reviving right-wing social democracy.

Maybe they'll learn it for next time around.
    To be, or not to be, that is the question: Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer,
    Or to take arms against a sea of troubles, And by opposing end them.

Administrator RevForum Administrator CornetJoyce's Avatar

Default Re: Merkel

To be fair, the SPD has not ever been a glittering success, having had only a supporting role in the founding of the welfare state.
    Einstein on marxology:
    "In the realm of the seekers after truth there is no human authority.
    Whoever attempts to play the magistrate there founders on the laughter of the Gods."

I'm expecting high returns for the AfD. Low returns for traditional opposition parties (as if many existed in Germany). Low returns for the SPD. Probably a good night for Merkel. Not a good night for democracy and for refugees.

To be, or not to be, that is the question: Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer,

Looks like my predictions came true.

It looks like Merkel ultimately failed in her bid to retain power. Must see what happens next. An unprecedented event in modern German history, post-Weimar..

Senior Voting Member Rosa Lichtenstein's Avatar

Nim, I have heard reports on UK TV News that this is only strengthening her hand, as she is now seen as the 'Uniter of Germany' -- as opposed to those who don't want to form a united government. Is that the case?
    The emancipation of the working class will be an act of the workers themselves.

http://anti-dialectics.co.uk/index.htm

What are the polls like for if another vote goes ahead? Any major shifts?

Quote Originally Posted by Rosa Lichtenstein View Post
    Nim, I have heard reports on UK TV News that this is only strengthening her hand, as she is now seen as the 'Uniter of Germany' -- as opposed to those who don't want to form a united government. Is that the case?
    The UK media seem to live in their own world, at least that was my experience during my short time in the UK. I think, given the current dynamics, the only parties that would benefit from the present dynamics (that's not to say that those may not change given the new situation) are the AfD and the FDP. I think the only real way to prevent that from happening is if the SPD gets its act together and embraces a true left vision. I don't see that happening, however. More likely is an eleventh hour GroKo ("Große Koalition") or new elections that result in little to no shifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Amoeba View Post
    What are the polls like for if another vote goes ahead? Any major shifts?
    I haven't kept up with the polls, but this just happened on Sunday night, so I would say give the various parties time to respond to the new situation and see how voter preferences shift. I've outlined above what I think needs and what I think will happen.

Pressure being put on the SPD to agree to talks on a "GroKo"(coalition with the bad guys). As it appears, Martin Schulz, former President of the European Parliament and wishy-washy "liberal" (and seemingly soft neoliberal on economic policy) is the weak lock to that gate. As the media cacophony cackles on and internal party factions bubble up with calls to coalition (lots of ministry posts to be filled, the careerists are chomping at the bit for some power and influence and a chance to shine in the spotlight). And Schulz, the weak Papandreu-like shadow-of-a-man is the loudest representative of the faction that wants to lick its wounds and reassess the situation after the historic defeat at the polls.

We shall see if the cheap lock (Schulz) holds past the party conference, scheduled for Dec. 7. If not, his replacement (eg., Andrea Nahles, wishy-washy former labor minister? or was it education?) will throw open the doors -- and her arms -- to the CDU to "go down that road again", and throw herself on a sword produced with Chinese steel and likely imported by a CDU donor.

Thread Information