Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anwar Shaikh

Rightwing left liberalism/Careerism RevForum Administrator Nim Chimpsky's Avatar

Default Re: Anwar Shaikh

Veblen is, of course, associated with that illustrious institution, the New School, at which Shaikh also is employed. Let us hope that he continues on in his spirit.

Rightwing left liberalism/Careerism RevForum Administrator Nim Chimpsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Perhaps but I'm not really one to just read a portion of a book. I'd rather see a 100-200 page companion that I can read on its own that argues the important points. Maybe in time there will be as such, like there have been for other important economics works. Nevertheless I'm interested in the content, 1000 pages or 30 lectures just seems like an absolutely impenetrable presentation form to me. And this is someone interested in what he has to say. I understand it's a purely academic work, hence the length and impenetrability, yet don't understand how the method of presentation couldn't have been considered as well? Clearly Shaikh had to have thought that the length and density of the work was going to massively limit the amount of people that read it?

Anyways, is there somewhere I can go to just read the main points? How is this different than other works out there? What's new/groundbreaking in it and what is he arguing that's novel? Further, going along the theme of the other posters here, how is this work going to have an actual impact? Have you seen any impact at this point yet, given that it's been out for more than a year? Hasn't Shaikh been arguing most of these points already?
    To further respond to your post: while none of the points may be original to Shaikh's work (although I think this would be a mischaracterization, since Shakh cites his own research extensively throughout the book -- and he has done a lifetime's work studying various phenomena), not many have tried -- and succeeded -- at such an ambitious project of providing both a foundational criticism of economic orthodoxy and at the same time a self-consistent alternative "paradigm" for studying, interpreting and analyzing the world of economic relations we live in and see in reality. Not even Marx.

The method of presentation for an academic text? A book? Should he have used LED lights? If you're referring to the length: it's a textbook! Moreover, find a decent graduate level introduction to anything (Medieval history, cellular biology, Java, Farsi) that doesn't breach 1,000 pages. As Joyce was wont to say of Ulysees. "if I could have written it using less words, I would have!"

As to "how the work is going to have an impact?" I don't have a fucking clue, as the fucking book has not even been in the fucking public for a fucking year and I am not fucking done reading it. However, as mentioned, Jamie Galbraith has already introduced the book into his courses on macroeconomics at the University of Texas at Austin. Galbraith is the son of John Kenneth Galbraith. an institution in his own right.

As far as other social movements picking it up: as Steven Crane would say, "“A serious prophet upon predicting a flood should be the first man to climb a tree. This would demonstrate that he was indeed a seer.” Shaikh has done his part and climbed his tree: let us see if others follow suit!

Administrator RevForum Administrator CornetJoyce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nim Chimpsky View Post
    Jamie Galbraith has already introduced the book into his courses on macroeconomics at the University of Texas at Austin. Galbraith is the son of John Kenneth Galbraith. an institution in his own right.
    Among Ken Galbraith's contributions were lucid terms such as "technostructure" and my favorite, "countervailing power" which described the role of labor unions in limiting the ability of the owners to reduce wages and deflate the economy.
    Einstein on marxology:
    "In the realm of the seekers after truth there is no human authority.
    Whoever attempts to play the magistrate there founders on the laughter of the Gods."

They sadly sped up this video:

Paperback Writer RevForum Administrator Amoeba's Avatar

If you click on the "settings" button and go to the speed setting and go for 0.75 it plays as normal.
    To be, or not to be, that is the question: Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer,
    Or to take arms against a sea of troubles, And by opposing end them.

Thread Information