Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Questions for CJ

Paperback Writer RevForum Administrator Amoeba's Avatar

Default Re: Questions for CJ

Have you read any non-Western literature aside from novels, particularly poetry? I expected you'd be a big fan of some of the Middle-Eastern classics like Rumi and Omar Khayyam.
    To be, or not to be, that is the question: Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer,
    Or to take arms against a sea of troubles, And by opposing end them.

Administrator RevForum Administrator CornetJoyce's Avatar

My early exposure to Fitzgerald did indeed lead me to Omar and Rumi. Rumi left us a great treasure house of brilliant love poetry but my favorite is "Two Kinds of Intelligence." And there are a few other Persian poets I stumbled upon and liked, including some excepts from the Book of Kings.

Other than Tagore, a dozen or so of whose poems I find irresistible, I think my familiarity with Indian literature is mainly with the Bhagavad Gita. By a similar token, I'm reasonably familiar with the Buddhist and Taoist literature of the East but little else beyond history and associated disciplines.
    Einstein on marxology:
    "In the realm of the seekers after truth there is no human authority.
    Whoever attempts to play the magistrate there founders on the laughter of the Gods."

What do you think of Edward Said, in particular his works on Palestine and Orientalism?

To be, or not to be, that is the question: Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer,

I think you'll enjoy this one, and it's good for a couple jogs too:

I don't recall disagreeing with anything Said said about Palestine; he generally reinforced my own views. His remarks on being an exile bring to mind the numerous exiles with whom I was in cahoots in Movement days.

His Orientalism is an illuminating work, but I don't regard European study of nonEuropean cultures as an evil. That 19th century scholarship was permeated by the imperial ethos is certainly true, but the 21st century cult of ignorance is no improvement.
    Einstein on marxology:
    Whoever attempts to play the magistrate there founders on the laughter of the Gods."

To avoid derailing the other thread, did you also correspond or meet with Tony Benn? What're your thoughts on him?

And the same question about George Galloway:

Notwithstanding the mild friction between Foot and Benn, I regarded the latter as the political heir of the former. As a party leader, I did think Benn had some flaws though.
    If the trot strategy was to win on the most popular issues and expand upon the victory incrementally, Benn may have been an ideal antitrot with his plan for the commanding heights of the economy, withdrawal from the common market and nato and all that.

As for Galloway, I'm always pleased to hear his eloquent criticisms of Israel, islamophobia, the imperial jihad in the Middle East usw. Beyond that, I haven't followed his political career.
    Einstein on marxology:

What do you think of Godard and his films? Who's your favorite filmmaker?

I was always too addicted to the stage to follow film closely. I only discovered Godard when he was denounced as an "antisemite." I was something of a Bergman fan; I recently introduced my wife to his Fanny and Alexander and it received her critical acclaim. Other directors that come to mind include Truffaut. Bunuel, Del Toro, Tony Palmer.
    Einstein on marxology:

Hadn't heard of the anti-semitism stuff, but came upon this and stopped reading further: "Godard’s attitude toward Jews has also come under the microscope because of his contempt for the State of Israel."

By Del Toro do you mean Guillermo? I can't see you enjoying any of his films aside from Pan's Labyrinth...

Pan's Labyrinth is the only one I've seen. Seeing it made me want to revisit Fanny and Alexander.

Godard's "antisemitism" had Greenwich Village chattering for a while. Godard, as far as I know, stood his ground and survived the attack.
    Einstein on marxology:

What are your views on the second amendment and gun control?

The second amendment and the third are perhaps the only amendments still observed (the third was rendered needless by the massive construction of military bases.). It certainly doesn't serve the 18th century purpose these days, but the progressive tactic of pretending that it doesn't mean what they don't want it to mean, doesn't work all that well. Progressives have every opportunity to amend the amendment but demur.

I've seen a few sensible proposals for gun control but I don't think the threat of guns can or should be addressed separately from the threat of cops.
    Einstein on marxology:

It is rather odd that regardless of one's politics the position one has on guns drastically varies by which country you've grown up in. I seriously have never met a single person in Europe who believes the US has got it right on guns, neither on the right or left.

But in the US both are enamored with it for their own reasons, typically converging on some idealistic form of anti-statism, as if the prospect of battling M1A1 Abrams tanks is feasible.

Wasn't always like that on the left, though:

Regarding the police point, that's understandable, but it's rather ironic that it's partly due to the proliferation of weaponry that cops are so trigger happy in the US (along with the obvious history of systematic racism, of course), and while the use of firearms for self-defense by targeted minorities has a noble history (Black Panthers come to mind), it hasn't really produced much productive results. Unless I'm mistaken states with strong gun control laws have less shootings across the board, including police shootings of minorities.

No sane person believes the US has it right on guns, healthcare, transportation, communication, nor fundamental institutions. Self defense produced enough to keep the klan away from at least one dixie town, but above all, guns kill squirrels and foxes. I personally am on the side of the foxes but they don't vote.

I don't pay attention to the police blotter or police blotter statistics, but I strongly suspect that the police atrocities in the news now are not different from those of fifty years ago, except for the presence of social media and the descent of television news into grand guignol
    Einstein on marxology:

Quote Originally Posted by CornetJoyce View Post
    No sane person believes the US has it right on guns, healthcare, transportation, communication, nor fundamental institutions. Self defense produced enough to keep the klan away from at least one dixie town, but above all, guns kill squirrels and foxes. I personally am on the side of the foxes but they don't vote.
    Well, they also kill lots of people of course, which is why the US has got it wrong on guns (at least, many states do -- is there actually any state that bans them outright?).

In countries that have gotten it right guns do indeed mostly kill foxes -- owning a gun there is a hobby of the wealthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Amoeba View Post
    Wasn't always like that on the left, though:

Quote Originally Posted by Amoeba View Post
    the US has got it wrong on guns (at least, many states do -- is there actually any state that bans them outright?).

The supreme lawyers may regard the 1st, 4th, 5th, 6th or 8th as irrelevant anachronisms, but the 2nd has a constituency and the chance of a "state" being allowed to dismiss that piece of the constitution are no greater than Stein's chance of being presdient,
    Einstein on marxology:

Quote Originally Posted by CornetJoyce View Post
    Guthrie vid on Pavlichenko

The supreme lawyers may regard the 1st, 4th, 5th, 6th or 8th as irrelevant anachronisms, but the 2nd has a constituency and the chance of a "state" being allowed to dismiss that piece of the constitution are no greater than Stein's chance of being presdient,
    Apparently the strictest gun laws are in Cali, with the following:

If you're a gun owner in California, you must:

Pass a universal background check, no matter where you buy your gun
    Wait at least 10 days to receive that gun (the idea here is to give law enforcement enough time to conduct the background check)
    Get your handgun microstamped, which means the make, model and serial number of the gun is transferred to each cartridge case every time the gun is fired (the idea is to allow police at a crime scene to trace a gun back to its owner)
    Take and pass a written safety test

You can't:

Own most assault weapons or buy and sell large-capacity ammunition magazines or .50 caliber rifles
    Buy your gun through a private sale, like online or via a friend, without first going through a licensed dealer (and thus getting a background check)
    Buy more than one handgun a month
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...oosest-states/

The banning of assault weapons is a pretty major curbing of the second amendment, and oddly I don't hear much from the NRA to overturn that. That must be really unpopular, even among gun nuts.

EDIT: apparently the 1994 federal assault weapons ban passed by a slim margin and expired after a decade and has yet to be replaced, but I'm unaware of any state that allows the carrying of assault weapons, i.e., semi-automatic or automatic weapons with large capacity magazines, the latter being banned by the National Firearms Act in response to early twentieth century mob violence.

Again, both of those rather significantly curb the second amendment, so it's not like it's untouched.

We were not talking about touching but rather of a "state" brushing aside the supreme lawyers and forbidding guns.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/...really/277401/
    Einstein on marxology:

Why do you think the NRA isn't pushing to repeal the National Firearms Act? Too far for even gun-toters?

Also:

Thread Information